Skip navigation
  •  StudentsKorean
  •  StudentsKoreanPolish
  •  StudentsKoreanPolishSpanish
  •  StudentsKoreanPolishSpanishTagalog
Extraordinary Lives Start With a Great Catholic Education

FAQs - Students




 Catalog-Item Reuse ‭[1]‬


How can school social workers help you?

School Social Workers meet with students and sometimes their families to talk about personal, social, family and school issues. Social Workers can help you understand the issues and look for ways to make things better. Click here for some common issues other students face.

I really need to talk to someone, how can I access my school social worker?

School social work services can be accessed by speaking with your teacher, guidance counsellor, child and youth worker or by contacting your School Social Worker directly.

Why would the School Social Worker want to speak with me?

The School Social Worker may want to speak with you if your parent/guardian or someone at the school is concerned about you. Whether you’re feeling sad, confused, angry or upset, the School Social Worker can help you. Also if there is a concern about your attendance the School Social Worker will want to speak with you.

Do I have to speak to the social worker?

No. School Social Work services are voluntary except in the case of persistent unexcused absences. For more detailed information on Provincial attendance expectations please click Education Act - Attendance Information.

What does it mean when I sign consent?

If you are over 16 you will be asked to sign a consent form. Your parent(s)/guardian(s) must sign on your behalf if you are under 16. Your consent allows the School Social Worker to meet with you directly and to access information contained in your Ontario Student Record (OSR). Consent is valid from the date signed until the end of the current school year. Information you share is kept confidential and is not accessed by any other party without express consent. At the end of the school year a brief summary report is written outlining social work involvement and recommendations. Like all other personal information collected by your School Social Worker, these reports are confidential and can only be accessed with written consent.

Who will you talk to about me?

In an effort to get a full understanding of how you are doing it may be important to speak with those who are directly involved with you such as your parent/guardian, teacher(s), school administrator and/or guidance counselor.

What happens to information I share with my school social worker?

All Information shared with your School Social Worker is kept confidential unless express consent is provided to disclose this information to other parties. When you meet with the School Social Worker, you will be assured that your information is kept confidential.

If you are under 16 and information is shared indicating that you or others may be at risk, all Dufferin-Peel employees are required to report to the appropriate authority. For more information on confidentiality and consent click here.

back to top