Municipal Election Day in Ontario is Monday, October 22, 2018
Thinking of running for the office of Catholic School Trustee?
The following information, provided by the Ontario Catholic School Trustees' Association (OCSTA) is provided to assist you in your discernment process. Additional information from OCSTA and the Province of Ontario is also provided.
Who can be a Catholic School Trustee?
To be eligible for election to a four-year term as a Catholic school trustee, you must be:
- a Roman Catholic
- a Catholic school supporter
- a resident within the jurisdiction of the district Catholic school board
- a Canadian citizen at least 18 years of age
As members of the Catholic community, Catholic trustees share in the joy of providing an education that addresses the spiritual, moral, academic and physical needs of our young people.
Trustees are encouraged by the knowledge that the contribution of their skills, experience and time is an investment in the future leadership of our communities, our Catholic schools, our country and our Church.
Catholic schools are faith communities which:
- engage students in a life-long faith journey rooted in the person of Jesus
- nurture spirituality through a Gospel-centered approach to learning in all subjects
- impart knowledge through religious education and family life education programs
Catholic school boards need trustees that:
- have a vision of Catholic education that is Christ-centered
- are committed to educating students in the Roman Catholic tradition
- are willing to work with all partners within and beyond the Catholic education community
- are willing to devote time to prayer and reflection, to meetings, to public functions and to addressing concerns of Catholic school voters
Catholic trustees are accountable to Catholic school electors for:
- establishing the system's mission and goals
- supporting student achievement in the school community
- establishing the annual budget
- developing policies to ensure the efficient operation of the board
- determining the type, size and location of schools
The following resources are designed to assist candidates and potential candidates for the office of Catholic school trustee.
For additional information, contact Bruce Campbell, General Manager, Communications & Community Relations: firstname.lastname@example.org | 905-890-0708, ext. 24466