On Wednesday, August 28, 2019, six secondary schools (Ascension of Our Lord S.S., Father Michael Goetz S.S., John Cabot C.S.S., Cardinal Leger S.S., Our Lady of Mount Carmel C.S.S. and St. Francis Xavier S.S.) are hosting the iFun Orientation Program offered to all newcomer secondary students who recently registered for school and all interested English Language Learners (ELLs) graduating from Grade 8 to Grade 9.
iFun is organized and delivered as part of settlement services available to newcomer families. Settlement workers, ESL teachers and recruited Peer Leaders spend the whole day with newcomers providing them with various orientation activities.
Orientation activities for new students are designed to build on existing activities conducted in DPCDSB secondary schools. All newcomer students in all grades are given the opportunity to participate in iFun. The goals are to:
- Help newcomer youth and ELLs psychologically get ready for a smooth entry to Canadian school by reducing the stress and anxiety that comes with transition.
- Give students a head start and equal playing field with their peers who have been attending school in the Region of Peel for years.
- Help newcomer students and ELLs build confidence, meet new friends and enhance their knowledge of the school and English language.
iFun activities include:
- group discussions on strategies for success
- school scavenger hunt
- dramatic scenes by peer leaders on what helped them adjust to their new school
- simulated timetable exercise
- discussions about graduation requirements and support systems in the school
There is also be an opportunity for the newcomer parents to meet with the schools administrators, ESL teachers and guidance counsellors.
All newcomer and immigrant students interested in participating in the iFun Orientation Program in any of the listed schools, should contact either the Reception and Assessment Centre at 905-361-2344 or the settlement worker in each individual school.