ST. FRANCIS XAVIER SECONDARY SCHOOL
SOCIAL JUSTICE CLUB
SOCIAL JUSTICE CLUB 2016-2017
|WHERE AND WHEN DO WE MEET?||EVERY OTHER WEDNESDAY IN THE SCHOOL LIBRARY|
|TEACHER ADVISORS||MARIA GOUNTZOUNIS |
"As the Social Justice Club of St. Francis Xavier Secondary School, we exist to empower Xavier students to engage in the pursuit of justice on a local, national, and global level through awareness, knowledge, and direct action.
At Xavier, we emphasize how important it is to foster community. We want our community to extend beyond Xavier's campus; we believe it is important to learn and relate to the world outside of Xavier. We want Xavier students to be a group of students participating in and contribute to social change.
Social Justice Club is a progressive forum for learning about and acting on social issues, particularly those affecting the most vulnerable and disadvantaged groups and communities of our world. We encourage awareness and actions that will lead to a more just world.
- We support human rights and speak out against their violation.
- We are anti-racist, anti-sexist and anti-homophobic.
- We are concerned with the economic exploitation of people and we support fair trade practices.
- We are concerned by the excesses of consumerism and the damage it causes to our environment.
- We offer our support and solidarity to people in need through awareness building and fundraising.
Anyone can join the social justice club and participate in our presentations and discussion. We support respectful discussion and dialogue that furthers our goals of raising awareness and contributing through various actions to the cause of justice.
This past Tuesday September 13, 2017 our Social Justice Club met for the first time. We had a very very successful first meeting where we had well over 200 students in attendance. We meet every other Wednesday and have various activities planned for the upcoming school year. Here are some pictures of our students in action…SOCIAL JUSTICE ACTION THAT IS…….