IB DP at Saint Francis Xavier Secondary School
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. Question: As you learn if you've made it in or not earlier than into other programs, and if you accept the offer of admission, but then learn you made into another school you prefer, can you switch?
Answer: These your decisions.
2. Question: Where can I find the important dates/Powerpoint?
Answer: The dates are part of the second presentation on this page (and the Preliminary Application to Grade 9 Pre-IB page)
3. Question: Do you have a statistic (%) of students admitted in Pre-IB Grade 9 program and maybe the percentage of these graduating in 2018? Thank you in advance.
Answer: At this time, we accept 150 students into Grade 9 (in the past we accepted 120). Towards the end of the program, we would have 20-30 not continuing with the program due to different reasons (very low performance, change of address, change of schools, health issues, etc.). We never force students to drop the IB program. In case of low performance, we counsel them.
4. Question: I currently reside in Oakville. Can I apply for IB program Grade 9 entry?
Answer: We are sorry, but the school only accepts students from our IB DP boundary.
5. Question: Will you be accepting applications to the Grade 9 IB program even if we are outside the boundary? I have seen forms for non-feeder schools and a request for boundary flexibility
Answer: We are not accepting any applications from students who reside in Mississauga or Brampton and are outside our IB boundary. The boundary for the Pre-IB and IB DP programs are different from the school boundary. Please see the following link for the IB boundary: Preliminary Application to Grade 9 Pre-IB (at the end of the page) and this one for the school boundary: http://www3.dpcdsb.org/Board%20External%20Content/Boundary%20Maps/STFXSBoundaryMap.pdf. Flexible boundary is needed for the students who live outside the school boundary, but who reside within the IB boundary (this will be done by the school if your child is admitted to the Pre-IB program).
6. Question: Do we need to book an appointment when submitting the registration or application forms for the IB program?
Answer: No, you do not. Please come to our Guidance Office (not the Main Office) between 8:30 AM and 2:30 PM.
7. Question: I am not able to find the Test Sessions posted online. I have checked under Guidance/Courses ->IB Program. When would you be posting the same?
Answer: They will be posted regularly towards the end of each week. The test sessions assigned to applicants will be posted in www.stfxss.org -> Guidance/Courses -> IB Program using the PIN. This will also acknowledge haing received your application.
8. Question: Will the students be tested on the middle level SSAT or upper level SSAT?
Answer: The test is called Secondary School Admission Practice Test (Practice SSAT) and we administer the UPPER LEVEL only. Please do not confuse SSAT with SAT. The SAT test is for high school graduating students who wish to be admitted to American universities.
9. Question: For SSAT: 1) Should the students bring the timer? 2) Do they move on to the next section of the test if they finish the section before the allotted time over or wait to exhaust the time? 3) Is there a break after two sessions?
Answer: 1) The Prepskills representative uses a timer, but if your child wants to track time, a simple timer with no beeps/watch maybe a good idead. Advanced electronic devices that can be used for communications or storing information are not allowed. 2) No, the test takers cannot move to the next section or back to the previous section. They have to stay in the same section until instructed to go ahead. 3) There is a break after some sections. The Prepskills representative will inform the students about the break.
10. Question: Difference between MYP and PRE IB.
Answer: MYP (Middle Years Program) - http://www.ibo.org/programmes/middle-years-programme/ is an official IBO program. The program that we call "Pre-IB" unofficially or officially "Preparatory Program for the IB DP" is a congrated and enriched Ontario program.
11. Question: If my child is studying in the Peel District School Board, can he/she apply to the STFXSS IB programme? Is there special criteria for the Peel District School Board?
Answer: Yes, he/she can. There are no special criteria. Students from all educational systems (Catholic, Public, Private) can apply to our Pre-IB and IB Diploma Programmes.
12. Question: Would we be able to get the student SSAT score?
Answer: We do not publish the SSAT results due to confidentiality issues.