Specialist High Skills Major (SHSM)
Specialist High School Major (SHSM) is a ministry-approved specialized program that allows students to focus their learning on a specific economic sector while meeting the requirements to graduate from secondary school. It also assists in their transition after graduation to apprenticeship training, college, university or the workplace.
St.Paul’s offers a SHSM in Energy.
Pursuing an SHSM enables students to:
• Customize their secondary school education to suit their interests and talents
• Develop specialized knowledge and skills
• Earn credits that postsecondary educational institutions and the sector recognize
• Gain sector-recognized certification and career-relevant training
• Develop Essential Skills and work habits documented through the Ontario Skills Passport
• Identify, explore and refine career goals and make informed decisions about their future
• Remain flexible, with the option to shift between pathways, should their goals and plans change.
Students who successfully complete a SHSM receive:
• an Ontario Secondary School Diploma with an embossed red seal
• an SHSM Record documenting his/her achievement
• formal recognition on his/her Ontario Student Transcript.