The Extended French Program begins in Grade 5 and continues up to Grade 12. The program provides students with the means to develop more advances French skills, enabling them to communicate effectively in speech and in writing, as they receive 1,900 hours of instruction by the end of Grade 8. The Extended French Program is only offered at designated schools in Dufferin-Peel.
Grades 5 to 8
The Extended French Program is introduced at the Grade 5 level. The instructional time is equally divided between French and English. Subjects taught in French, include: Language Arts, Social Studies, Science, and one of The Arts and/or Physical Education. These classes are based on the same curriculum guidelines as the classes conducted in English.
Admission into the Extended French Program is open to all students eligible to attend a Dufferin-Peel Catholic school, who will be in Grade 5 the following September. Beyond the Grade 5 level, only students who have an equivalent background in French may join the program if space is available.
For more information, please contact your local Extended French school or the Program Department at 905-890-0708 ext. 24374 or 24373. Click here to go to the DPCDSB webpage regarding the Extended French program.
Success in the French Extended Program
Various ministry documents such as the FSL Framework state that the FSL programs are for all students. There are however many considerations and factors which help parent(s) and/or guardian(s) make an informed decision about the French Immersion program for the child.
- Enjoys and plays with language (rhyming and word games)
- Listens effectively (i.e. retell or explain a story in sequence)Displays strong communication skills (listening and speaking) in their mother tongue
- Follows directions and instructionsIdentifies and prints name, the alphabet and some words
- Demonstrates an awareness of individual sounds and sound patterns
- Cooperates with others and works /plays well in groups
- Perseveres and makes an effort when responding to challengesLooks for and acts on new ideas and opportunities
- Demonstrates a willingness to take risks
- Demonstrates curiosity and interest in learningApproaches new tasks with a positive attitude
- Regular attendance (known as a strong indicator for success)
These qualities encourage good learning habits in all subject areas.
NEW Please note! Grade 5 Extended French Applications - Entry into Dufferin-Peel Extended French Programs for the 2020-2021 School Year: Evening information session will take place on January 14, 2020 at 7:00 pm for parents and/or guardians of students interested in entering the Grade 5 Extended French Program at our one of our eleven Dufferin-Peel Extended French Centres. Visit our board website for other possible Extended French locations and date/times of evening information sessions (Programs & Services tab à Languages à Extended French à Schedule of Extended French Information Sessions), or contact your local Extended French school or the Program Department at 905-890-0708 ext. 24374 or 24373.
Extended French Resources
- La Boite a Outils is a toolbox for parents of students in French Immersion and Core French. A quick and easy reference guide, it is filled with vocabulary and commonly used expressions necessary for daily oral expression in the classroom.
- Click here for a link to a document filled with French educational websites and resources!
- www.FSLHomeworkToolbox.ca - visit this French as a Second Language (FSL) website for Math and Literacy videos, audio clips and even content for secondary students.