In September 2013, the Dufferin-Peel Catholic District School Board opened a new regional elementary school in the Port Credit area of Mississauga. The St. James Catholic Global Learning Centre provides diverse and specialized learning opportunities to students from Kindergarten to Grade 8, with a global focus consistent with Dufferin-Peel’s tradition of excellence in Catholic education. Modelled after an internationally recognized program, the Global Learning Centre will teach the Ontario Curriculum via an integrated, inquiry-based approach, aligned with the Ontario Catholic School Graduate Expectations.
St. James Catholic Global learning Centre is an authorized International Baccalaureate (IB) World School in the Primary Years Programme (PYP) and the Middle Years Programme (MYP). The Primary Years Programme is geared for students in Kindergarten to Grade 5while the Middle Years Programme serves students in Grades 6 to 8.
St. James Catholic Global Learning Centre opened its doors in September 2013 on the site of St. James Catholic School. The school was one of the oldest in Dufferin-Peel, going back to the late 1950's. St. James closed in 2009.
Excerpts from Our Story. Our Tradition. Our Journey.: Celebrating the Church-School Connection in Dufferin-Peel
"To meet needs in the Clarkson/ Lorne Park area, Fr. Sheridan asked some parishioners in to form a school board. In 1959, the board established St. James Catholic School, which helped alleviate overcrowding at St. Mary in Port Credit and reduced expenditures because it was costly to bus students to St. Mary from areas beyond Port Credit. St. James began with 129 students who studied in portables at Riverside Public School in Port Credit until March of 1960. The school was named in honour of Monsignor James Sheridan, the long-time pastor of St. Mary Star of the Sea Parish." -p.78
"Nestled in a residential area of Port Credit, St. James served a diverse population....The school, which was named in honour of Monsignor James Sheridan, the long-tme pastor of St. Mary Star of the Sea Parish, is dedicated to St. James the Lesser, a cousin of our Lord." p. 171