St. Edmund School History
In 1959. the Dixie Catholic Board built St. Edmund Elementary School at 1250 Melton Drive, on almost four acres of land that was purchased for just over $30, 000. In the first year 109 students attended the school.
Portable classrooms were added in 1963 when enrolment increased, and more were added in 1967 when St. Patrick's School was closed and St. Edmund accomodated its students.
In 1993, a permanent addition replaced portable classrooms.
The school is named in honour of St. Edmund the Martyr, a King of East Anglia (England) who died in 869. He was a model king who trated all with equal justice. He was a learnered man who had memorized all the Psalms of the Bible.
To celebrate its 50th anniversary. the school created a new logo, which incorporated the number 50 and the school motto, "Body, Mind and Spirit".
St. Edmund students and their families do outreach acitivities such as collecting food for the hungry, and hats, mittens and scares for needy children and adults, donating to Canadian Food for Children, and assisting the Parish with St. Vincent de Paul initiatives. The youth Faith ambassadors assist with outreach and faith activities at the school.
Our Hero - Ed LeMay
When Ed LeMay and his wife Val moved to Applewood Acres, there were no Catholic Schools for children to attend. He encouraged other parents to join him in the development of a Catholic school system in the Toronto Township. Under his leadership, the group went door to door and raised enough money to establish a tiny school board known as the Dixie Catholic Board.
Ed LeMay served as Trustee from 1953 to 1959. He served as chairman from 1960 to 1962. With the amalgamation of four small boards in South Peel, he became the first chairman of the combined Roman Catholic Separate School Board and held the position until 1967. When the Mississauga Board was established in 1968, he was its representative on the interim separate school organizational committee, and then became chairman of the new Dufferin-Peel Roman Catholic Separate School Board one year later.
Ed LeMay was appointed the Board's Assistant Administrator and then its Business Superintendent until his retirement in 1988. He passed away on June 19, 2000.
Taken from: Apple Blossoms & Satellite Dishes
June 2004 by Dave Cook
Sister St. Victor 1959-1963
Sister Mary Zita 1963-1964
Sister Marie Noel 1964-1965
Sister Leona 1965-1969
Florence Hosick 1969-1970
Ernie Henderson 1970-1975
John Sward 1975-1983
Robert Fisher 1983-1992
Rita Adams 1992-1995
Steve Palmateer 1995-2002
Deirdre Furlong 2002-2008
Teresa Frendo 2008
Anna Maltby 2012
Tom Podobnik 2018 – present