Metropolitan Andrei Catholic Elementary School is located in central Mississauga. The school opened in 1972, during the early years of the development of the City of Mississauga. Our school demographics reflect the social, economic and ethnic diversity common to Mississauga. Our boundary stretches from Bloor Street to Dundas Street, from Hurontario to Cawthra - the community known as Mississauga Valley - and is composed of a full range of housing, including single detached, townhouses and apartment buildings. The school itself has undergone major renovations throughout the years. During the 1970's, with the population increasing in the area, a large addition including the second gymnasium was constructed and wheelchair ramps were also built to accommodate everyone. During the 2004-2005 school year, Metropolitan Andrei School underwent more renovations and an elevator was built. A four-classroom addition was constructed, the field area was leveled, new ventilation and lighting systems were installed, and the entire school was painted.
By the late 1990's the school population was over 1,400 students. Metropolitan Andrei School offered Extended French to students in grades 5 to 8 and was a holding school for students in the Bishop Scalabrini School area. By the year 2000 the population was on the decline, and with the construction of St. Philip Elementary School, the school population declined to around 800 students. Currently we welcome approximately 500 students from J.K. to Grade 8.
The school was established to support Catholic parents in their responsibility for the spiritual, religious, moral, academic, and physical needs of their children in accordance with the teaching of the Church. The school community is committed to the search for excellence, the uniqueness of the individual, and the education of the whole person.
Metropolitan Andrei School is named in honour of Metropolitan Andrei Sheptystsky (1865-1944).
Born of an aristocratic family, Roman Alexander Sheptystsky joined the Basilian order in 1888 and changed his Christian name to Andrei. He was ordained in 1892, named Bishop Stanislav in 1898, and Metropolitan of Lvov in 1901.
Through his charity and writings, Metropolitan Andrei reinvigorated Catholicism in the western Ukraine. He was a staunch defender of the faith in Czarist Russia and in the post-revolution communist regime in the Soviet Union.
Metropolitan Andrei saw the need for strong leaders, which is why he became a dedicated supporter of the Ukrainian youth organization PLAST, whose development of leadership skills is one of its main goals. An excellent role model for youth, Metropolitan Andrei led by example. He cultivated leadership skills in all aspects of life, faith, family, community, and country. Through his actions, it is clear that leadership is not limited to one area or interest, but is interwoven in all aspects of life.
Metropolitan Andrei took great interest in Ukrainian immigrants in Canada, and sent priests to minister to the faithful. He visited Canada on a number of occasions, and supported the Canadian-Ukrainian Catholic ministry spiritually and monetarily.