IB DP at Saint Francis Xavier Secondary School
Frequently Asked Questions
IB Presentation - Part 1
IB Presentation - Part 2
Grade 10 student who requested information - please revisit the Google Form and provide me with your e-mail (no one but I have access to answers on this form, so your identity will be protected).
1. Question: As you learn if you've made it in or not earlier than into other programs, and if you accept the offer of admission, but then learn you made into another school you prefer, can you switch?
Answer: These your decisions.
2. Question: Where can I find the important dates/Powerpoint?
Answer: The dates are part of the second presentation on this page (and the Preliminary Application to Grade 9 Pre-IB page)
3. Question: My son is in grade 8 at St. Sebastian Catholic School. I need to know more info about how can he apply for high school in this school and when is the deadline for application.
Answer: Please peruse our http://www3.dpcdsb.org/STFXS/guidance-courses/i-b-program, the presentations published on the page, and the Preliminary Application to Grade 9 Pre-IB page.
4. Question: Hello and thank you for the very informative IB Open House Session. Do you have a statistic (%) of students admitted in Pre-IB Grade 9 program and maybe the percentage of these graduating in 2017? Thank you in advance.
Answer: At this time, we accept 150 students into Grade 9 (in the past we accepted 120). Towards the end of the program, we would have 20-30 not continuing with the program due to different reasons (very low performance, change of address, change of schools, health issues, etc.). We never force students to drop the IB program. In case of low performance, we counsel them.
5. Question: I currently reside in Oakville. Can I apply for IB program Grade 9 entry?
Answer: We are sorry, but the school only accepts students from our IB DP boundary.
6. Question: Will you be accepting applications to the grade 9 IB program even if we are outside the boundary? I have seen forms for non-feeder schools and a request for boundary flexibility
Answer: We are not accepting any applications from students who reside in Mississauga or Brampton and are outside our IB boundary. The boundary for the Pre-IB and IB DP programs are different from the school boundary. Please see the following link for the IB boundary: http://www3.dpcdsb.org/STFXS/guidance-courses/i-b-program/ib-preliminary-application (at the end of the page) and this one for the school boundary: http://www3.dpcdsb.org/Board%20External%20Content/Boundary%20Maps/STFXSBoundaryMap.pdf. Flexible boundary is needed for the students who live outside the school boundary, but within the IB boundary.
7. Question: Do we need to book an appointment when submitting the registration or application forms for the IB program?
Answer: No, you do not. Please come to our Guidance office between 8:00 AM and 2:30 PM.
8. Question: I am not able to find the Test Sessions posted online. I have checked under Guidance/Courses ->IB Program. When would you be posting the same?
Answer: They will be posted tomorrow, October 31. I am busy with applications to American universities at present. The test sessions assigned to applicants will be posted in www.stfxss.org -> Guidance/Courses -> IB Program.
9. Question: As you learn if you've made it in or not earlier than into other programs, and if you accept the offer of admission, but then learn you made into another school you prefer, ARE YOU ALLOWED to switch?
Answer: Please see the answer to Question 1.
10. Question: Will the students be tested on the middle level SAT or upper level SAT?
Answer: The test is called Secondary School Admission Practice Test (Practice SSAT) and we administer the UPPER LEVEL only. The SAT test is for high school graduating students who wish to be admitted to American universities.
11. Question: For SSAT: 1) Should the students bring the timer? 2) Do they move on to the next session of the test if they finish the session before the allotted time over or wait to exhaust the time? 3) Is there a break after two sessions?
Answer: 1) The Prepskills representative uses a timer, but if your child wants to track time, a simple timer with no beeps maybe a good idead. Advanced electronics thta can be used for communications or storing information is not allowed. 2) No, the test takers cannot move to the next section or back to the previous section. They have to stay in the same section until instructed to go ahead. 3) There is a break after some sections. The Prepskills representative will inform the students about the break.
12. Question: Difference between MYP and PRE IB.
Answer: MYP (Middle Years Program) - http://www.ibo.org/programmes/middle-years-programme/ is an official IBO program. The program that we call "Pre-IB" unofficially or officially "Preparatory Program for the IB DP" is a congrated and enriched Ontario program.
13. Question: My son is in grade 8 this year and he is very interested to your school IB program, but unfortunately we missed the information night and missed closing day for submit the form. Is there any way we can submit the application now?
Answer: At this time, we have the application process closed. Please call thge school and ask to speak with the IB DP Coordinator. I will provide you with infromation how your son can join us for Grade 10 Pre-IB.
14. Question: I keep asking - if you've accepted Xavier, does the school freeze you out of switching to another program? I know it's my decision if i want to transfer to another school's program, but will the school allow it?
Answer: The answer to this question was published long time ago under no. 1.
15. Question: If my child is studying in the Peel District School Board, can she apply to the STFXSS IB programme? Is there special criteria for the Peel District School Board?
Answer: Yes, she can. There are no special criteria. Students from all educational systems (Catholic, public, private) can apply to our Pre-IB and IB Diploma Programmes.
16. Question: Would we be able to get the student SSAT score?
Answer: We do not publish the SSAT results due to confidentiality issues.
17. Question: I thought the PINs were unique - 987654321 is on the list twice
Answer: They should be, at least with so many digits. Both students made it to the program, so it does not matter...