Skip navigation
St. Catherine of Siena Separate School
"Many Hands, Many Lands, One Heart, One God"
905.277.2448
  • St. Catherine of Siena Separate School
  • 2350 Hurontario Street South
  • Mississauga ON , L5B 1N1
  • Principal: Gina Pedroso
  • Vice Principal(s): Robert Scicluna
  • Superintendents: Deborah Finegan-Downey
  • Trustee: Bruno Iannicca (Ward 7)
+More School Info
Search:
School Site 

Parish

St. Catherine of Siena Church

2340 Hurontario Street
Mississauga
905-272-1454
http://www.stcatherine.ca/

Masses
Saturday Vigil 6:00pm
8:30am (English)
10:00am (Italian)
11:30am (English)
1:00pm (English)

3rd Sunday of the Month, Mass is at 2:30pm in Filipino Tagalog
4:30pm (English)
6:00pm (Misa en espanol)

History
In the early 1950s, the Catholic population of the town of Cooksville in south Peel grew through immigration.  In 1956, the Archdiocese established a parish to accommodate the Italian, Dutch, Polish, and English Canadian Catholic population.  Cardinal McGuigan, the Archbishop of Toronto, invited the Missionaries of St. Charles (Scalabrinians), who have a ministry to "migrants and refugees, especially among those who are most in need."11   to staff the parish.

In 1955, the Cooksville Separate School Board acquired land at 2340-2350 Hurontario Street for the church and a school. 

Fr. Daniel Zanon, the first pastor of St. Catherine of Siena Parish, helped Harry Caswell, a founder of the Cooksville Separate School Board, to develop St. Catherine of Siena Elementary School.  Fr. Zanon's office was housed in the school, and, until the church was built, Mass was held in the school.

The sod was turned for the church on Easter Sunday 1956.  On Christmas Day 1956, the first Mass was celebrated in what is now Scalabrini Hall; the church itself was completed and occupied by August of 1961.  Cardinal McGuigan and Archbishop Pocock, who was then Coadjutor Archbishop, attended the dedication.

In 1959, the Scalabrinians established English as a Second Language classes at the school to aid Italian immigrants; many of them had moved to Cooksville to work in the brickyards.

The Filician Sisters played an important role in ministering to the parishioners and they assisted at St. Gerard Separate School.  It was founded under the auspices of St. Catherine of Siena Parish, but today is served by St. Martin of Tours Parish.

Today, St. Catherine continues to deliver a rich ministry to a diverse congregation, as indicated by the languages of the choirs:  English, Italian, Spanish,  and Filipino.

back to top