Skip navigation
St. Marguerite Bourgeoys Separate School
"Faith in God and Service to Others"
905.454.3979
  • St. Marguerite Bourgeoys Separate School
  • 550 North Park Drive
  • Brampton ON , L6S 4J8
  • Principal: Enza Del Grosso-Milek
  • Vice Principal(s):
  • Superintendents: Lucy Papaloni
  • Trustee: Shawn Xaviour (Ward 7)
+More School Info
Search:
School Site 

School History

 

marguerite bourgeoys portrait  

St. Marguerite Bourgeoys

 

St. Marguerite Bourgeoys is an elementary school of approximately 250 students. It opened in September 1984. It is named for St. Marguerite Bourgeoys. the French founder of the Congregation of Notre Dame of Montreal in the colony of New France.


Marguerite Bourgeoys, the foundress, was born at Troyes, France, 17 April, 1620. She was the third child of Abraham Bourgeois, a merchant, and Guillemette Garnier, his wife. In 1653 Paul Chomody de Maisonneuve, the founder of Ville Marie (Montreal), visited Troyes, and invited her to go to Canada to teach; she set out in June of that year, arrived at Ville Marie, and devoted herself to every form of works of mercy. She opened her first school on 30 April, 1657, but soon had to return to France for recruits, where four companions joined her. A boarding school and an industrial school were opened and sodalities were founded. In 1670 the foundress went back to France and returned in 1672 with letters from King Louis XIV and also with six new companions.In 1675 she built a chapel dedicated to Notre Dame de Bon Secours. To insure greater freedom of action Mother Bourgeoys founded an uncloistered community, its members bound only by simple vows. They had chosen 2 July, as their patronal feast-day. Modelling their lives on that of Our Lady after the Ascension of Our Lord, they aided the pastors in the various parishes where convents of the order had been established, by instructing children. 

back to top