Skip navigation
St. Louis Separate School
"To form, transform and improve lives."
905.822.8251
  • St. Louis Separate School
  • 1450 Lewisham Drive
  • Mississauga ON , L5J 3R3
  • Principal: Laura DiGiambattista
  • Vice Principal(s):
  • Superintendents: Deborah Finegan-Downey
  • Trustee: Sharon Hobin (Ward 2)
+More School Info
Search:
School Site 

St. Louis School History

History of St. Louis School

Taken from the “A History of St. Louis School”

Written by former St. Louis School Principal – L. Barreca

On November 15, 1960- response to the growing community- Cox and Moffet of Islington, Ontario – were appointed to be architects for the building of St. Louis School.  The Felician Sisters were asked to be apart of the first teaching staff of the new school.  Construction was planned for 1960 – with the open of the school in 1961.  The building was to open with a seven room design to include: six classrooms:  one kindergarten class; a teachers’ room; a sisters’ room; and a Principal Office.  The first Principal of the school was Mr. H. C. Lavery.  He also taught Grade 7 & 8.    The school building was not ready for first day – so the Board decided that arrangements would be made for the first classes to be held in Hillside Park.  This would remain in effect until the building was ready for occupancy.  First day of occupancy was September 11, 1961 – with the Kindergarten class delayed until September 25, 1961. 

In 1963, a four room addition was added onto the original structure – to support community growth.

In the winter of 1964-65, an addition to the north side of the existing building was added – again to accommodate population growth.

In 1966 to June 1972- our Grade 7 & 8 students were bused to St. Christopher School – again due to accommodate population growth.

In 1972-1973- Grade 7 students attended St. Helen School and Grade 8 students attended St. Christopher.

In 1973-1974 – Grade 7 & Grade 8 attended St. Helen School.

In 1974-1975 – Only Grade 8 students attended St. Helen School.

In 1975 to today – St. Louis operates from JK to Grade 8.

In 2014 – St. Louis was able to offer full day kindergarten for both JK and SK students.

On May 10th, 2012 – at 7pm – at St. Christopher Church – we celebrated our 50th Anniversary Mass – celebrated by Fr. Scott Young and Fr. Gerald Dunn.  After mass – a reception was held back at the school – and we hosted over 1000 guests – many alumni who had come back to visit and remember their time at St. Louis.  The student had arranged a walking tour outlining the evolution of St. Louis School from its inception in 1961 to our 50th anniversary year.  A compilation of stories from staff and students was published to commemorate our 50th anniversary – entitled, “St. Louis School – 50 Years- 1961-2011”.

 

Our School Logo was created in 1979-80 – by Mr. Wilf  Morrish – Art Resource for Clarkson/St. Martin Family of Schools.

The crest incorporates: 

St. L- for St. Louis School

The cross – for the Cross of Christ

The flame of knowledge and the lamp of learning for the logo taken from the DPRCSS – logo

The circle of love surrounds the crest.

back to top