Welcome to the Fr. Michael Goetz
Library Learning Commons
The FMG Library Learning Commons is the physical and virtual hub of the school and a catalyst for a whole-school approach to participatory learning. Its purpose is to provide a welcoming and stimulating space where learning communities are built, and knowledge creation, inquiry, imagination, discovery and creativity transpire. We are dedicated to moving students beyond mere research and information sharing, to a greater level of engagement. This is achieved in the learning commons through critical thinking, problem-solving, and experimentation - skills demanded in a modern landscape where technology requires learners to interpret and discern information rather than passively consume it.
Proud participant of DOCSFORSchools
The 2017 HotDocs Selection for GOETZ
Chasing Ice (75 min.)
Handsome and Majestic (12 min.)
Driving with Selvi (52 min.)
Migrant Dreams (88 min.)
Fed Up (60 min.)
The Crossing (55 min.)
See this link for the trailers: https://www.hotdocs.ca/p/dfs-fest-in-school
Inquiry-based math activity with Ms. Baker, Student-Teacher
Using assistive technology with Mrs. Kathy Wilkinson-McGuire,
Special Education Consultant
Using tablets during gr. 9 library orientation
Guest speaker Tory Woollcott, dyslexic writer and cartoonist,
leading a workshop on the writing process.
Fr. Michael Goetz Book Club
Take a Risk, Get Involved.... Levitate!
Photographer: Sahar Rana, Former Gater
The FMG Library Learning Commons offers the following print collections:
Fiction, Graphic Novels, Non-Fiction, and Magazines.
Our vision is to reach all learners by providing rich resources - accessible through our library catalogue –
that support diverse interests and learning styles.
Non Fiction and Reference Collection
Collection for English Language Learners
Monday to Friday: 7:45 a.m. to 3:15 p.m.
Ms. N. Mouchbahani, Teacher Librarian, ext. 63051
Ms. A. Tagidou, Library & Information Technician, ext. 63050
Ms. D. Ferracuti, Student Monitor
Library Services and Policies
The Father Michael Goetz Library Learning Commons
Services and Policies 2017- 2018
The Fr. Michael Goetz Library Learning Commons subscribes to a number of online databases on the Internet to enrich students’ academic research experience. These database programs provide authoritative, reliable and timely information on a great variety of school related subjects and on personal interest. Students can access these programs from schools and at home by using the proper user IDs and passwords.
Pick up the FMG Library Learning Commons Services & Policies from the circulation desk for further information.
* The FMG Library Learning Commons is intended for collaborative learning, personal reading and/or quiet study.
* Students are expected to be in full uniform.
* Students must show a current Student ID Card, (or the school schedule), for signing out materials and computers.
* Food and drinks are not allowed in the FMG Library.
*Personal electronic devices, including cell phones and iPods, are to be used for educational purpose only.
Circulation and Loan Policies
The Library Catalogue is available online by clicking Here for the FMG Library Learning Commons website.
Overdue Fine (per item per day)
|Fiction||2 weeks||20 cents |
|Non-Fiction||2 weeks||20 cents |
|Graphic Works and Manga||2 weeks||20 cents |
(back issue only)
|2 weeks||20 cents|
|DVD||1 week||20 cents|
|E Book (downloadable)||2 weeks||-----|
* Students are allowed to sign out 5 items at one time, with no more than 2 items from any of the above categories.
* For e-books, student may download titles at one time.
* Loan items may be renewed twice provided they are not on hold for another borrower.
* Overdue notices will be sent out to homerooms for distribution to students every Monday.
* Students with unpaid fines will not be allowed to sign out any library materials or computers from the Resource Centre.
* Students are responsible for any lost items, and will be charged for the current replacement cost.
Computers & Internet Policies
* Students are required to sign in at Circulation Desk and present their student ID card before using computers.
* Students are required to use the assigned computers only.
* The computer and the Internet are used only for school-related activities.
* Board policy dictates that students must not change the Internet browser and configuration or use another student's account on the computer.
* Printing text: 10 cents per page. Only Black and white printing is available.
* Printing Graphs, black & white pictures or charts. - 20 cents per page.
* ,10 cents per page for single-sided photocopying.
* ,20 cents per sheet for double-sided photocopying.
Updated: June 30, 2017