Judge your neighbor's feelings by your own, and in every matter be thoughtful. (Sir. 31:15)
Empathy…is the ability to put oneself in another's shoes and the capacity to feel what the other person is feeling.
From the perspective of the Ontario Catholic School Graduate Expectations, an empathetic person...
- Is confident in the dignity of selves and others
- Believes that the cross is the ultimate sign of forgiveness
- Seeks and grants permission
Sometimes we do not agree with others, but have you tried looking at things from the other person's point of view? There will be many times in your life where you will have to accept people for who they are even if you do not agree with them.
Is there anyone in your classt that you have had to work with, with whom you don't get along well? How have you learned to work with this person? Have you tried to put yourself in their shoes to try to better understand where they are coming from?
Despite your feelings for certain individuals, how does trying to see things from their point of view make you a better team player?
God made us to live together as a family community
A Faithful person…
- Prays regularly and reverently
- Learns from Scripture stories
- Assumes that there is good in everyone
- Accepts the God-given worth of themselves and others