St. Edmund School History
The Dixie Catholic Board was constituted in November 1953 due to the dedication and vision of Father Healy and Applewood Acres resident Ed LeMay. The Dixie Catholic Board undertook the building of its first school, St. Patrick in 1953 on Dixie Rd. near Dundas St. and its second school, St. Edmund on Melton Dr. in 1959.
The Dixie Catholic Board purchased 3.85 acres of land from the Lloyd Lever Estate at a cost of $7,500.00 per acre. St. Edmund School was designed by Servos and Cauley and constructed for $75,000.00 by Brampton Home Builders. By September 1961, St. Edmund housed 109 students in grades K, 3, 4, 5 and 6, while students in grades 1, 2, 7, 8 attended St. Patrick School.
In 1962, the Dixie Catholic Board became a part of the Combined Roman Catholic Separate School Board and later in 1969, joined the Dufferin-Peel Separate School Board.
The first addition to St. Edmund School was in 1963. Portable classrooms were added as student numbers grew and classes increased. St. Patrick School was closed in 1967 and later served as the first Dufferin-Peel Board Office.
A permanent addition to St. Edmund School was started in the summer of 1992 and was ready for occupation early in 1993.
Three portables were added to the St. Edmund School site in November 2005 in order to accommodate the growing number of students.
St. Edmund proudly continues to serve the Catholic Community as part of the Dufferin-Peel Catholic District School Board.
Our Hero - Ed LeMay
When Ed LeMay and his wife Val moved to Applewood Acres, there were no Catholic Schools for children to attend. He encouraged other parents to join him in the development of a Catholic school system in the Toronto Township. Under his leadership, the group went door to door and raised enough money to establish a tiny school board known as the Dixie Catholic Board.
Ed LeMay served as Trustee from 1953 to 1959. He served as chairman from 1960 to 1962. With the amalgamation of four small boards in South Peel, he became the first chairman of the combined Roman Catholic Separate School Board and held the position until 1967. When the Mississauga Board was established in 1968, he was its representative on the interim separate school organizational committee, and then became chairman of the new Dufferin-Peel Roman Catholic Separate School Board one year later.
Ed LeMay was appointed the Board's Assistant Administrator and then its Business Superintendent until his retirement in 1988. He passed away on June 19, 2000.
Taken from: Apple Blossoms & Satellite Dishes
June 2004 by Dave Cook
Sister St. Victor 1959-1963
Sister Mary Zita 1963-1964
Sister Marie Noel 1964-1965
Sister Leona 1965-1969
Florence Hosick 1969-1970
Ernie Henderson 1970-1975
John Sward 1975-1983
Robert Fisher 1983-1992
Rita Adams 1992-1995
Steve Palmateer 1995-2002
Deirdre Furlong 2002-2008
Teresa Frendo 2008 – 2012
Anna Maltby 2012 - present